is this a mid-life crisis?
oh my god.
i'm thinking about changing jobs.
and not just jobs in general, like the company i'm working for.
i mean changing careers.
i'm freaking out
i went to college for 4 yrs to get my design degree.
i like design.
i enjoy the outcome of my projects.
it is fullfilling.....however
i don't have a burning desire to create. it's more of a hassle than a need for me
i don't and probably won't ever make enough money doing what i do.
so, basically, i'm freaking out
i'm scared bc this tiny little step is actually a very big one.
i'm scared because i have a lot of work under my belt to put me where I am at now career wise. I have a base but if I do this change, provided I can even find something in this area, then it'll be like starting all over again.
I"m not really worried that I won't like my career choice. I'm more worried that I'll have given up on my old choice. Not stuck it through.
I promised myself at a young age that I would never lock myself into a career that didnt make me happy. I didn't need to be filthy rich but I wanted to make sure I was VERY financially secure. My dad has always said 'money won't buy you happiness but it'll buy you a big enough boat to pull up next to it" and I firmly believe this. I also promised myself that I wouldn't dread going to work every morning.
Well.....I find myself very UN-financially secure right now. And I dread going to work every morning. And I mean EVERY morning. I do like it here. I enjoy the people I work with and stuff but I don't look forward to doing it. As un-monotonous as it is I constantly find myself in a routine. I'm almost 25 years old. I need to know what direction I'm taking my life in and the fact that I am just floating along in the path that I chose for myself one random afternoon 4 1/2 years ago scares the hell out of me.
I don't know what to do.
I do know that something needs to be done so I think that is the first step.
The second will be much harder because that will require action and I'm hoping and praying that I haven't become too much of a coward where i've stopped taking chances and living my life.
I guess time will tell.

7 Comments:
wow...didnt expect that post. what career field do you see yourself in?
wow largie.... u are creative u should be a romance novel writer :-) so what career choice are you opting for? I go through those days. Each day i want to be something different.... a teacher, preschool teacher, whale trainer, graphic designer, model etc... the list goes on ;-)
only thing is i don't know if i'm thinking the path of a designer is the wrong thing to do. i'm thinking that i'll never get ahead in life doing this and always be scraping to get by. and then there is the lack of motivation sometimes. but then i have to ask myself "am i just an overall lazy person that lacks motivations and drive" if thats the case then I don't want to make the mistake of turning my career upside and finding out i'm miserable once again. i'm so confused.
haha, surperb!!! i'll meet ya in say...oh...32 hours ;)
Please, nobody can talk in Vegas. Either you should be too busy screaming over the blackjack table or you should be too sloshed up to know what your name is. It's Vegas, have some fun and forget your career path while you are there.
Now in all seriousness, just breath Jess. You'll be fine. Trust me, everyone panics when they invest all this time and money into college and either halfway thru school they change their mind in the direction they want to pursue or worse they get that degree and get out into the real world and think...fuck, I don't want to do this for a living. Even I've been there. I think we all have.
I'm not sure what other avenues you want to look into - other fields? I would suggest you do something that would allow you to branch out your current degree, skills, experience and of course talent. Think about what your dream job would be and then try and twist that into something that is realistic in terms of obtaining with your current situation. I hope that makes sense. Good luck! Oh yeah, while in Vegas, put it on red and if you hit big, then f the career and you won't have to worry about money or happiness ever again. ;)
hahah thanks dk! I'll remember that! I'll get my shit together and I will for sure enjoy my trip. No worries.
okay all i have to say is i think you're talking crazy talk right now. you are just starting out in this career (as am i). if you are comparing it to serving/bartending, thats no fair, you have done that for like nine years. you have been a designer for what, one? everything takes time to get into. and no, you won't be scrapping to get by forever, because do you see yourself working where you are now forever? no, you will move up, eventually be an art director, or whatever, making much more dough. or maybe this leads you to something a little different, advertising or magazine design or something else..and just because you dont like this job doesnt mean you wont like a different job of the same career path. i HATED sunseed. HATED it. felt the same as you, dreadded it, etc, but we all have to start somewhere. if i had stayed there i would have contemplated change of careers as well. shit, picking up dog poop would have been better than being at that place...ugh, gives me shivers. but no one wakes up one day and says, hmm, id like to be a financially and professionally successful graphic designer at a job i love going to every single morning and have it work. so, i hope ive cleared some things up for you. dont give up on the career, but maybe moving jobs is the answer. think about it before you go cliff diving. love you babe, see you tomorrow! (its so weird to say that!)
Post a Comment
<< Home