Wednesday, October 26, 2005

good.one.large

Well once again I let myself be controlled by my emotions. I thought I had that under control but its apparent that I don't. Last night I got carded in soccer. Not such a big deal to most people right? People get carded all the time for little things. Well, I've never been carded. Ever! I've played soccer since pee-wee's and never been carded. Not saying I didn't deserve one from time to time but I'd like to think that I played well enough (and by lis's standards, sneaky enough) that I haven't been caught doing anything and gotten carded. Well last night was the exception to this and it was completely my fault. I'm actually very dissapointed in myself and really embarrassed. Not only did I get carded, but I got a red card. So I had to hang my head in shame and exit the field and I can't even play next week. Ok...so I"m sure you're wondering what I did to recieve this. Basically I lost my cool. I snapped so to speak. I didn't initially start it, if its any consolation to myself but then again I follwed through with it and I would like to think, no, I would hope and expect that I could be a bigger person when someone I am playing against plays dirty and not let it get to me. Obviously the mature adult in me is taking a bit of a sabatical bc she was no where to be found last night.

What it all boils down to is that I hit a guy. I didn't punch him straight in his face, more like a swing punch to his neck. He definitley provoked me and some of my anger towards him was warranted but this isn't kindergarten anymore and we can't solve issues on the playground with an all out brawl. Basically words had been expressed between us all game, very violent words. After the first confrontation (oh yeah there was more than one) I seriously felt remorse immediatley after and was ready to walk up mid game and say 'hey sorry about that, I have a temper, no hard feelings k, lets just play a good game' But I didn't for a couple of reasons that don't really matter. What matters is that I didn't say anything and it might have done some good. But the second half I think my frustration for how dirty the other team was playing had built to the boiling point and this guy made one more mistake to one of my teammates (basically, after the ball was no longer in play with him and our defender-he deliberatley cleated him right in the groin. I'm pretty sure he didnt make direct contact bc my teammate bounced back pretty quickly but i was infuriated and I snapped) This is when, not two seconds later, I ran up and clocked him.....and then got thrown out of the game.

So here I am, it's the next day and I feel like an ass. I'm that person on the team that people want to wear a muzzle bc I can't keep my mouth shut. I have improved, dont' get me wrong, but obviously not enough if I take such tactics as slamming my fist and arm into someones neck. Geez. So I take full blame. We almost lost bc with me off the field we were now 3 people down as we had already started with 2 down. As soon as I walked off the other team scored 2 goals so that was the salt in my already festering wound of self pride. Luckily my sunday and tuesday teams are in different leagues so I can play in our finals on sunday. I promise here on out, to me, to my team, and to everyone that I will play with respect and maturity. I will not scream obsenitites. I will not blatenly go for the player instead of the ball. I will be the epitimy of sportsmanship. I owe my team that. Until then though, I'm going to sit here in shame because I let my temper get the best of me.

Happy hump day I guess.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kelley said...

large u live and you learn. the only good thing is now u know not to do that again. or try not too :-) sounds like you are livin' large! cheer up u have a cute halloween costume!

October 26, 2005 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

we heart red cards. : )

October 27, 2005 at 7:19 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

graeme, why is your blog gone?

October 27, 2005 at 7:19 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Hey,
Every once in awhile sh*t happens. If you really feel that badly about it, I bet everyone else will forget about it before you do.

October 27, 2005 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Sorry to bother you I wish I would have thought of this a minute ago, but I'm dieing to ask you how long has soccer been a mixed sport??

October 27, 2005 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

exseno: co-ed rec league. Been playing in them for awhile now. Played in college so I've been playing for about 6 yrs now. It's good fun. Besides my outburst i like playing co-ed bc its more aggressive and less catty than all girls.

October 27, 2005 at 1:00 PM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

I'm not a big soccer fan, but I sure of would of liked to of seen you kick a guy's ass! I wonder what the guy must be thinking today after getting beat up by a girl. I'm just teasin, you really didn't beat him up, but it sounds like you did give him a nice throat chop!

Remind me to take you along with me next time I am harassed by Harley bikers. Not sure if you saw that post on my blog, but you would make one hell of a tag team partner...not that I can't fight my own battles, but it doesn't hurt to have some fire in your corner for backup. :P

(You know what would super cool and hot? If you got into the Strawberry Shortcake costume that you are planning to wear and then fight another chick! You could sell tickets to that even - no joke.)

October 27, 2005 at 2:34 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

dmdkt you're hilarious!! if i consume enough alchohol I'm sure i'll pick some sort of fight. I really am fun loving....swear ;)

I definitely had to put my two cents in when reading that post. Couldn't help myself. I dont' even know the situation but being an outsider I think people should learn when to let go. Even if it's the other persons fault, you're not doing yourself any good by holding that much anger inside. It makes for an ugly person. I think you handled yourself well. Good luck with the bullies.

I'll definitley go next time you're around harley bikers. My dad has a harley!! And so do my uncles. Love that side to death but they are a bunch of hillbillies. It's great! Besides my dad of course. He's classy.

October 28, 2005 at 6:38 AM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

Yeah I appreciated your comment. It said it perfect. Not sure if you saw my post today (Nov 1), but "they" are starting up once again. I wonder if it's as tiring to hear themselves as it is for all of us to hear it? Hmm, guess I will never know.

I'm definitely keeping you in mind the next time any bar brawl or biker gang ass whooping breaks out. ;) There are some decent Harley guys, but then there are scummy ones too as you know.

November 1, 2005 at 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home