Monday, February 07, 2005

Who do I want to be?

I have trouble getting up in the mornings. There I said it! I know most people, probably around 90%, have this same problem. But this fact doesn't make my laziness any easier to accept. I read a lot and in doing so I find a lot of characters who I can relate with on some level or in most cases, would like to relate to. For instance I might be reading a book where the main character is so intelligent and witty that I wish I would have taken more business classes per say in college. Then I think...what! are you kidding me, I would have hated business classes. But I think what I am envying most is this determination of one-self. This drive to push yourself beyond all means to accomplish everything and anything you want. So some of you are reading this and nodding and thinking ok...that's not so bad. However, I'm not entirely sure I know what I want and I am not entirely sure that is a bad thing. Should I know where I want to be in 5 years? I can't even decide what I want for dinner 10 minutes before I am going to eat so this 5 years scope is a huge concept to grasp. Chicken or sea-food? Design or design? Wait! I don't even have any options... so what am I worried about. I guess I picked this path in college all because I saw a really cool poster that Heidi Williams had done with a collage of absolut bottles and I thought to myself....hmmm well that is pretty frickin cool, what is your major, oh its graphic design is it? well sign me up because I want to do some pretty frickin cool stuff too.
So here I am....I have a degree with a portfolio that at times I like to think holds some pretty cool frickin stuff and I finally have a job which I like 90 % of the time as long as they keep giving me work because I like to stay busy. Yet I am writing this blog, almost complaining, comparing my life to that of a made up character in a book.
And do you know where all of this wondering stemmed from? I started reading a book, names not really important since I insist on reading cheesy romance novels, and the main character gets up every morning at the crack of dawn to go running. She does this because she wants to, because she enjoys exercising and clearing her mind and just the ability of her body to feel rejuivinated from simple fitness. And so I found myself wanting to be more like her and contemplating why I don't get up at 5a.m. instead of 6 and go for a little run. I know it would make me feel better, it's better for me and I wouldn't be so god awful tired all the time. But honestly, I can't fathom the idea of crawling out of my warm safe haven of a 5 blanket cacoon to go traipsing out and about in the cold to "wake up". I guess I could just settle for the morning hot shower until I decide that training for a marathon is in my cards.

I probably should have titled this blog "self analysis" but there is so much more "me stuff" that I will have to conclude about at a later date. That way I can gather all of my random thoughts and actually write in a consise, clear manner that is better understood than the insane gurrgle that I sometimes throw onto a page. I'm sure ya'll are looking forward to that day. Oh to see inside the inner workings of Jessica Large. Maybe they'll make a lifetime movie out of it. Lets hope not!

3 Comments:

Blogger 1308 Rose Bower Ave said...

good post. fyi business isnt all its cracked up to be...sure you can get a job most anywhere doing a variety of things but its not fulfilling. in your career at least you get to express yourself in mine, i accomplish tasks that are put in front of me, its very objective.

February 7, 2005 at 7:57 AM  
Blogger shellie said...

I think everyday you should look at people, things, characters, perceptions, ideas and reevaluate your own space on this planet...I think you are healthy for wondering and smart for taking your thoughts to another level. Its NOT like you are actually going to go to "never never land" and become some ficticious character...its just a good way to keep your blood pumping. ...but there's no reason why we can't go watch it on your birthday!! p.s. we need to check out tickets!

i liked your post today as well! very nice. the dawes did a nice one too...now i'm gonna go check out liss. :)

February 7, 2005 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

well liss is busy posting on everyone else's blogs and then she'll update her own! haha. but honestly, jess, 5 am is just too damn early to wake up, regardless of what its for. you have to find what works for you. me? i cannot work out in the morning. i think alot of people work out in the am to get it 'out of the way' for the rest of the day..but for me, its what i look forward to, so if i do it in the morning, i feel really crappy for the rest of the day. also, you have to realize that people (non designers) look at us and go, wow, you're so lucky you have the skills and talent to design, because they dont have those skills, they have other skills that we dont. so i guess, to each his own, youre great jess!

February 7, 2005 at 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home