Monday, January 09, 2006

Kyle

Well, I wrote a letter to my brother today.

It's difficult to address the letter and next to his name put his inmate/ID #. My brother....a criminal. I'm asleep right. This has all been a bad dream. No Jessica, it's not a dream. It's life, real and true. All the ugliness and beauty get thrown together on one big canvas and the final art is what we see everyday.
I didn't write to him to tell him that everything's ok, that I'm proud of him or that if he needs anything I'll be here. No. I wrote him and instead I told him what I feel.

He didn’t get the sugar coated version. I told him, you’ve hurt people, you’ve let people down and you’ve misused people’s generosity over and over again.

Does this make me horrible? Does this make me a bad person? Maybe it does. Maybe it makes me selfish or coldhearted. Or maybe it makes me wise. It’s me. I’ve accepted that.

Some days, I have a brother, other days, I forget that I have one. I forget that I’m not an only child trying desperatley for my families approval. I forget that out there, outside of the world I’ve built around myself, there is a boy, who incidently now looks like a man, who has the same voice as me. Who used to idolize me as a child and then hate me as a teenager. A boy who I welcomed into life with open arms only to push him away not to long after because his presense didn’t quite suit my group.

I wrote to him, I love you. I have faith in you to become someone. I have hope. But all of this is nothing if he doesn’t make those choices. Everyone has a destiny but it's the choices that have a hand in leading you to it.

So now that I’ve taken time to acknowledge him, I’ll turn yet again back to my life. Where somedays I’ll remember that I have a brother and somedays I won’t. I don’t know when we’ll ever truly have a relationship. I've chosen the path that requires the least amount of effort. It's my choice, I live with it. I wonder what choices he'll begin to make and if in a round about way, both our choices will lead us closer together, or farther apart.

5 Comments:

Blogger Heather Enos, Ed.S., NCSP, BCBA said...

hey jess.. sorry to read this post but glad you wrote to him. i'm not sure what your bro has or has not done but.... i think it is good you are expressing your feelings.

oh by the way since your such a reader. you should read a million little pieces by james frey if you haven't already i started it a few days ago and i'm almost finished- i can't put it down.. it is a wonderful book!

much love

January 9, 2006 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

maybe i will. whats it about?

January 9, 2006 at 10:32 AM  
Blogger Kelley said...

i think its good u wrote him. I can kind of relate to you in someways as well. its good though that u wrote him and got yoru feelings out there. ( you ) thats a hug from me :-)

January 9, 2006 at 1:44 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

good job jessica. i know that was really hard for you. im glad you are not sugar coating it. it would only hurt him for you to coat it. hang in there darling. we're all here for you. : )

January 11, 2006 at 9:11 AM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

I think it's good that you didn't sugar coat it and just said what you really felt. If you sugar coated how you felt, then it wouldn't really be sincere and I think it would be doing him and you both a disservice. So good job there.

I have no idea what it must be like to have a relative who is a criminal in jail, so I can't say I can relate, but I can appreciate the fact that it must take alot of courage to just lay out how you feel to him in hopes that you did the right thing. Perhaps one day you will have a good relationship with him, time will tell.

January 11, 2006 at 8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home